The work of George Tscherny is characterized by its elegance, wit, and simplicity. Tscherny began his career in 1950 as a packaging designer for Donald Deskey; he joined George Nelson & Associates in 1953. In 1955, Tscherny opened his own design studio. That same year he taught the first design course at SVA (then called Cartoonists and Illustrators School). Tscherny designed the first SVA poster and logo in 1956 and was instrumental in establishing the school's visual presence in New York City. He redesigned the SVA logo and identity program in 1997. His many corporate clients have included W.R. Grace & Co., Pan Am, Johnson & Johnson, General Dynamics, SEI Corporation, The Ford Foundation, Mobil, and Air Canada. He received the AIGA Medal in 1988 and was inducted into the Art Directors Club Hall of Fame in 1997. The George Tscherny Collection includes posters, brochures, annual reports, letterhead, book jackets, and many other samples.